:: The Materialistic Worldview ::

"Taking something to be so, taking it to be not so or not taking it to be either does not make it so, does not make it not so and does not make it neither" Fred Dretske
:: welcome to The Materialistic Worldview :: bloghome | contact ::
[::..archive..::]
[::..Friends..::]
:: My departmental website [>]
:: Bara [>]
:: Jon Ingvar [>]
:: Tyrone Hobbes [>]
:: Burla [>]
:: Reynir and family [>]
:: Fríður Finna [>]
:: Svavar Knutur [>]
:: Asgeir Olafs [>]
[::..Whiskey..::]
:: Royal Mile Whiskies [>]
:: Ian Macleod Distillery [>]
:: Master of Malt [>]
:: Whisky Heritage Museum [>]
:: Connemara Whiskey [>]
:: Jack Daniels [>]
[::..Fun stuff..::]
:: Maddox Genius no1 [>]
:: Michael Kelly Genius no2 [>]
:: Kissonline [>]
:: Kissasylum [>]
:: Garfield [>]
:: Bitter Films [>]
:: [::..Philosophy and politics..::]
:: Murinn [>]
:: Kreml [>]
:: Arts and letters daily [>]
:: New York Review of Books [>]
:: Noam Chomsky [>]
:: Eric Lormand [>]
[::..Schools and work..::]
:: Galway psychology department [>]
:: Cambridge centre for behavioral studies [>]
:: B.F. Skinner foundation [>]
:: ]

:: 12 september, 2006 ::

Eins og einhverjir vita var ég á skátamóti á Ítalíu í síðasta mánuði og skemmti mér konunglega. Þar var samkvæmt hefð gefin út mótsbók með ýmsum upplýsingum um mótssvæðið, frösum á ítölsku og í þessar bók var líka bætt við hugleiðingum nokkurra frægra manna um trúarbrögð, frið og bræðralag. Fann þar kafla eftir Norberto Bobbio sem ég ætla að setja hér inn. Þar sem ég nenni ekki að þýða þetta yfir á íslensku verðið þið að gera ykkur enskuna að góðu ;) Mér finnst þessi kafli lýsa vel mínum hugsunum og skoðunum um þessi mál.

As some of you might know, that I was on a scoutcamp in Italy last month and had a great time. According to tradition there was published a camp book containing information on the camp site, phrases in Italian and in this book they added the thoughts of a few famous people about religion, peace and brotherhood. In there I found a chapter by Norberto Bobbio that I am going to post here (slightly changed) as I find this reflects my own thoughts on this matter.

"I am not a man of faith. I am a man of reason and I doubt all of faith, but I distinguish religion from spirituality. Spirituality means to me simply to have the sense of ones own limits, to know that human reason is only a small light that illuminates a very small space compared with the grandiosity, with the immensity of the universe. The only thing I am sure about is to always stay within the limits of my own reason - as I cannot repeat it enough: I am not a man of faith. Having faith is something that belongs to a world that is not mine - and in case I experience the sense of mystery, which is obviously common to the man as to the man of faith the difference is that the man of faith fills this mystery with revelations and truth that come from above and does not succeed to convince me. But it still is fundamental, this deep sense of mystery, which surrounds us, and which is what I call a sense of spirituality. Mine is a spirituality of doubt, rather than that of certain responses.

I only accept what is within the limits of tight reason and the limits are absolute and narrow. My reason comes to a halt after some steps while willing to travel the road that enters the mystery the road has no end. The more we know, the more we know not to know. Any scientist will tell you that the more he knows and the more he discovers, the more he knows what he does not know and what he has yet to discover. We have enlarged our space of knowledge enormously, but the more we enlarge it the more we become aware that this space is big. What is the cosmos? What do we know about the cosmos? How and why do things pass from nothing to being?
In the face of questions that are impossible to answer - of this I am certain: I cannot give an answer, although I belong to a humanity which has realized enormous advances - I feel like a small grain of sand in this universe. But when I feel I have reached the end of life without having found an answer to the last question, my intelligence is humiliated. Humiliated. And I accept this humiliation. For me the difference is not between the believer and the non believer, but between the one who takes this problem seriously and the one who does not take them seriously. There is the believer who is content with easy responses and also the non-believer who is not content with easy responses! Someone says: 'I am an atheist', but I am not sure that I know what that means. I think that the real difference is between the one who, in order to give sense to his own life, faces up to this questions in earnest and with commitment and searches for the answer even if he does not find it and the one who does not care about anything. To whom it is enough to repeat what was said to him since being a child.
Among the metaphysical problems I posed was the one of the immortality of the soul, maybe we are eternal? What does this mean? Life and death are intrinsically tied; life receives sense from death and death from life. Death, if there was really another life, would not be death. Death is only desperation? Or the beginning of a new life? All the big religions propose a form of life beyond death, but the one who does not believe imagines that he will be able to live through the works he leaves in posterity."

The man has spoken

:: Jón Grétar 09:59 [+] ::
...
Comments: Skrifa ummæli

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?